1) Robert Phillips, “O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden”
2) Ethan Hayden, “Star-light is a little light”
3) Esin Gündüz, “ı filosofi della collina”
4) Esin Gündüz, “Improvisation on Michael McNeill’s ‘Wild Geese'”
5) Traditional Turkish Music, “Üyünüm Layla”
6) Elliott Carter, “Shard”
7) Zane Merritt & Ben Willis, “Improvisation”
8) Nathan Heidelberger, “In flux/inflects/influx/in flects”
9) Salvatore Sciarrino, “Dove andarono la sera i muratori” from Quaderno di Strada
10) Nathan Heidelberger, “The Distance of the Moon”
11) Louis Andriessen, “Workers Union”
12) Will Redman, “The Book (excerpt)” Performed live by Wooden Cities
1) Improv Ork, “Graphic Music,” Live at Hallwall’s for Buffalo Infringement Festival 2011
2) Wooden Cities, Live in-studio performance of Will Redman’s Book, part 1
4) Wooden Cities, Live in-studio performance of Will Redman’s Book, part 2
6) Wooden Cities, Live in-studio performance of Will Redman’s Book, part 3
7) Wooden Cities, Cobra, Live at Hallwall’s January 2012
A page from Will Redman’s graphic composition ‘The Book’
The Infringement Festival insanity continues tonight on The Upstate Soundscape when Wooden Cities stops by to give us a live in-studio performance. The ensemble that brought us the memorable performance of John Zorn’s Corbra earlier this year at Hallwalls will perform from the graphic composition Book by University at Buffalo alumni Will Redman.
Book is a is a “collection of 98 graphic compositions. Each is rendered in black ink on a sheet of white 8.5×11 inch paper. The compositions represent extensions and extrapolations of conventional music notation. Book is available for interpretation (however radical) by any performer(s) in any place at any time in any part for any duration.” See the video below for a taste of what Book is all about.
Tonight’s Wooden cities line up will include Ethan Hayden, voice/performer, Evan Courtin, violin, Brendan Fitzgerald, guitar, and Michael McNeill, keyboard.
Show starts at 9pm on 91.3FM WBNY. Stream at WBNY.org.