Tag Archives: lucky dragons
Tonight on The Upstate Soundscape we’ll hear new sounds from Buffalo drone project VWLS (Bad Drone Media), Albany-based collaborative project Mensheviks (Tape Drift), and a ghostly cassette from Hamilton’s Annie Shaw (Old Frontiers).
Lots of other good sounds coming your way tonight, including Jealousy Mountain Duo, Swans, Efterklang, Tim Hecker, Lucky Dragons and Mike Shiflet.
Show starts at 8pm on 91.3FM WBNY. Stream at WBNY.org.
1) Lucky Dragons, “Exsisters,” Exsisters
2) Lesley Flanigan, “Sleepy”
3) Digital Dog Party, “Your Heart Gave Fuzz”
4) The Cubes, “Pacifique Live Improvisation”
5) Spurgeasaurus, “Working Title (Active Ingredient)”
6) Cloud Becomes Your Hand, “Rootabega Pigeons,” S/T
7) Beef Terminal, “Empty Beach,” Humidex
8) Ghost Father, “Shrift”
9) Cinnamon Aluminum, “Forest of Leisure,” We Ate the Wrong Crab Spirit (Level 4 Activated)
10) Tristan Perich, “Interface,” string quartet, 4-channel 1-bit electronic
11) Kirk Starkey, “Hidden I Nocturne,” Little Gidding
12) Matthew Ship, “Alternative Aspects,” Elastic Aspects
13) TJ Borden, “Contractions”
14) Salem:1976, “Everything is Going to Be OK”
15) Totem Pole, “Improvisatoin # 2,” Live at the Vault March 14, 2012
16) Jookla Duo and Bill Nace, “Scratch Here,” Scratch
Tons of great shows happening in the Upstate region in the next week or so and we’ll try to preview as many as we can tonight on The Upstate Soundscape.
Here is a sample of what we’ll try and get to….
Also got a shit-ton of good stuff to get to that has been sent in to the show via Soundcloud. Should be an interesting show. Tune in at 10pm to 91.3 FM WBNY. Stream at wbny.org.
1) Our Brother the Native, “Falconiformes,” Earth and Claw (Fat Cat)
2) Mercury Rev, “Meth of a Rockett’s Kick,” Boces (Beggar’s Banquet)
3) Thee Silver Mt. Zion, “13 Blues for Thirteen Moons,” 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons (Constellation)
4) Bear Flames, “Social Security #,” EP1, EP2, Old Rehearsals
5) Lucky Dragons, “Mercy,” Dark Falcon (555 Recordings)
6) Dustin Wong, “Space Tunnel Graffiti,” Dreams Say, View, Create, Shadow Leads (Thrill Jockey)
7) Martin Freeman, “Beastin,” Beastin
8) Tony Conrad with Faust, “The Death of the Composer was in 1962,” Outside the Dream Syndicate
9) Andew Deutsch, “Rain Raga (Dedicated to Jessie Shefrin),” Out of Nowhere: Electro-Acoustic music from the Upstate Fringe
10) War on Drugs, “Don’t Fear the Ghost,” Coming to the City Single (Secretly Canadian)
11) Odonis Odonis, “Seedgazer,” Hollandaze (Fat Cat)
12) Aidan Baker, “Beyond the Great Wall,” The Spectrum of Distraction
13) Malaria Control,” Bike Ride by the Water,” Jack Topht/Malaria Control Split Cassette
14) Grab Ass Cowboys, “Turpentine Wig”
15) Ay Fast, “Rotating Stairwell Explained,” Ay Fast/Collapsed Arc (Bananas Eat Girl)
(*right click, then save as to DL)
No tracklisting is provided, but I can tell you that the mix gets downright funky at times, which is surprising considering the heavy conceptual work that Luke Fischbeck and Sara Rara are usually known for (see video at the bottom).
That type of work will be on full display Wednesday night for their Actual Reality performance. On the EMPAC website is a description of the upcoming performance that reads: Using an archive of Internet searches for the phrase “actual reality” as raw data for this process, acoustic sounds of musicians (and the audience) are analyzed and resynthesized in real-time and then presented back for reply, creating a call and response. Along with the “real” performance, collected source material—video and audio from previous performances, rehearsals, and incidental audio—is processed and layered on top, creating an endless loop of what is and what has been.
Certainly sounds like an interesting event to say the least. For now, though, enjoy this out-there mix from the experimental duo. Dublab’s description of it is included below.
Lucky Dragons dipped their pocket watches into wax because they know time is a construct of anxious society. Standing still can be just as fulfilling as moving forward. Meditation can be a motivation. Your trajectory is a trip, so trickle to this tier and place these sounds in your ears. Lucky Dragons are here to mingle with your mind.[youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_CPwW0uih4%5D