Kraftwerk’s music will come to life in Buffalo all this week thanks to the Kraftwerkers of Buffalo event. A host of musicians from around the area will take a stab at re-interpreting select works from the German groups’ catalog in honor of the MOMA retrospective happening next week. See the list of events below for more info.
To get you ready for it here is a cover of Kraftwerk’s 1975 track “Radioactivity.” The song is covered by German artist WOLKENKUCKUCKSHEIM.
You can catch a performance of the Radio-Activty album at Hardware’s Backroom on Wednesday by Martin Freeman and TJ Borden.
“Kraftwerkers of Buffalo: From Grain Elevators to Pocket Calculator”
April 6 – 17, 2012
Buffalo, New York
A Kraftwerk Documentary
Friday, April 6, 7pm
@ Hallwalls Theatre
Kraftwerk 1 (1970)
Scott Valkwitch, Gabriel Gutierrez, Patrick Cain, Jim Abramson
Friday, April 6,10pm
@ Hallwalls Theater
Rückstoß Gondoliero + Heavy Metal Kids (1971)
TU (Tristan & Ulysses)
Saturday, April 7, 10pm
@ 20 Auburn (warehouse courtyard)
Kraftwerk 2 (1972)
Sunday, April 8, 8:30pm
@ the Vault
Ralf and Florian (1973)
Monday, April 9, 8:30pm
@ Big Orbit
*Presented In: Quelle Verräumlichung acht Vier-Punkt-Licht
galeriesNFS “Kraftwerkers” Press Conference
Tuesday, April 10, 8:30pm
@ Sugar City
led by Gentleman John
Wednesday, April 11, 12:01am
@ Corner of Main & Huron (former New Century Theatre)
Radio Activity (1975)
Martin Freeman & TJ Borden
Wednesday, April 11, 8:30pm
@ Backroom at Hardware
Trans-Europe Express (1977)
Pam & Miles
Thursday, April 12, 9:30pm
@ the Vault
The Man Machine (1978)
Friday, April 13, 11:59pm
@ Hallwalls Gallery
Computer World (1981)
Al Larsen, Mark Webb
Saturday, April 14, 10:00pm
Planet Rock (1981)
Saturday, April 14, 10:00pm
Techno Pop (1986)
Sunday, April 15, 8:30pm
@ Jungle Gym
The Mix (1991)
MJB Corporation, ABCDJ
Monday, April 16, 8:30pm
Tour de France (2003)
Neil L. Coletta & Choir
Tuesday, April 17, 10:00pm
Due to the host being a dipshit and forgetting to hit ‘record’ at the start of last night’s show, there is no archived version of last night’s show. Pity, because it was a good one. Kind of surprised this hasn’t happened before, actually. Anyway, you can still check out last night’s tracklist below.
1) Martin Freeman, “Beastin,” Beastin
2) All of them Witches, “Toyotal Recall,” Breathers vs. Drivers
3) Bear Flames, “Judas/Heavy Outro”
4) Velvet Elvis, “Pretty Girls in Lace,” No Rules in the Wasteland (cae-sur-a)
5) Tuurd, “I Wish My Wife Was This Dirty,” I Wish My Wife Was This Dirty (Carbon)
6) AIDS Wolf, “Very Friendly (Weasel Walter Remix)”
7) Bees////, “MONSTERFLOWERCAT,” GA/KA
8) Dustin Wong, “Diagonally Talking Echo,” Dreams, Say, View, Create, Shadow Leads (Thrill Jockey)
9) Christian Marclay, Elliot Sharp, Vernon Reid, Melvin Gibbs, Lee Ranaldo, Mary Halverson “Graffitti Composition 2” Graffiti Composition
10) Deerhunter, “Weird Era,” Wierd Era Cont. (Kranky)
11) Odonis Odonis, “Ledged Up,” Hollandaze (Fat Cat)
12) Lotus Plaza, “Remember Our Days,” Lotus Plaza/Odonis Odonis Split 12″ (Fat Cat)
13) Settlers, “Sky Kings”
14) Women, “Untogether,” Public Strain (Jagjaguwar)
15) Grasshopper & The Crickets, “Sketches of Saturn,” The Orbit of Eternal Grace (Beggar’s Banquat)
16) Sonic Youth, “Anagram,” Perspective Musicales (SYR)
17) Off the International Radar, “Critical Mass,” OTIR 003 (Voof Records)
18) Location Ensemble, “Diversion # 3,” Live in Saratoga 11.12.11(Tape Drift)
19) Colin Stetson, “The End of Your Suffering,” Those Who Didn’t Run (Constellation)
Looking over the potential playlist for tonight’s show and it seems like there is a lot of experimental rock-type stuff on it. At least stuff with guitars anyway. . .
Got some Location Ensemble, some Bear Flames, some All of Them Witches, some Velvet Elvis, some Bees////, some Odonis Odonis, some Martin Freeman, some AIDS Wolf, some Bird Day….maybe some Settlers and Yoma as well.
And that’s just the regional stuff….
Probably get to some Krautrock and No Wave, along with other goodies as well.
In other words, it will be a great fucking show, so tune in to 91.3 FM WBNY at 10 pm for another episode of The Upstate Soundscape.
Stream at WBNY.org.
1) Our Brother the Native, “Falconiformes,” Earth and Claw (Fat Cat)
2) Mercury Rev, “Meth of a Rockett’s Kick,” Boces (Beggar’s Banquet)
3) Thee Silver Mt. Zion, “13 Blues for Thirteen Moons,” 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons (Constellation)
4) Bear Flames, “Social Security #,” EP1, EP2, Old Rehearsals
5) Lucky Dragons, “Mercy,” Dark Falcon (555 Recordings)
6) Dustin Wong, “Space Tunnel Graffiti,” Dreams Say, View, Create, Shadow Leads (Thrill Jockey)
7) Martin Freeman, “Beastin,” Beastin
8) Tony Conrad with Faust, “The Death of the Composer was in 1962,” Outside the Dream Syndicate
9) Andew Deutsch, “Rain Raga (Dedicated to Jessie Shefrin),” Out of Nowhere: Electro-Acoustic music from the Upstate Fringe
10) War on Drugs, “Don’t Fear the Ghost,” Coming to the City Single (Secretly Canadian)
11) Odonis Odonis, “Seedgazer,” Hollandaze (Fat Cat)
12) Aidan Baker, “Beyond the Great Wall,” The Spectrum of Distraction
13) Malaria Control,” Bike Ride by the Water,” Jack Topht/Malaria Control Split Cassette
14) Grab Ass Cowboys, “Turpentine Wig”
15) Ay Fast, “Rotating Stairwell Explained,” Ay Fast/Collapsed Arc (Bananas Eat Girl)
So Rochester’s Carbon Records is approaching its 200th release and has launched a Kickstarter campaign in order to get the compilation pressed on vinyl. A couple of Upstate Soundscape regulars are set to be on this compilation, and even more that we have yet to hear and are looking forward to discovering.
Check the info below and follow the link to Kickstarter to watch the pitch by Joe Tunis, founder of Carbon Records.
*Note: wordpress.com does not allow Kickstarter videos to be embedded in their blogs so you’ll have to actually click HERE to watch the video.
From Kickstarter site:
Hi, I’m Joe Tunis. I’ve been running Carbon Records since 1994, releasing a variety of sounds from around Western NY, the US and around the world.
CR200 is the 200th release of the label. The release will consist of a compilation LP and a 4-cassette box set, with some of the musicians who have supported Carbon over the years.
The LP will include: r.nuuja (Pengo), Col. Parmesan (Thunderbody), Dr Hamburger (Tumul, Jungle Heart), Entente Cordiale (members of Tumul, Hinkley, Muler, Blood and Bone Orchestra), Stone Baby, Martin Freeman, Tumul, Jungle Heart, Bruise Halo, Chris Reeg (Blood and Bone Orchestra, Ian Downey is Famous), Joe Sorriero (Nod), Licker (Pengo), Drippers, Andy Gilmore, Pengo, MntDst, Bloody Noes, Autumn in Halifax and more (final LP line-up TBD).
The 4-cassette box set will include 8 artists, each with their own 15min side. They include Col Parmesan, Dr Hamburger, Entente Cordiale, Martin Freeman, r.nuuja, Stone Baby, Pengo, and Jungle Heart.
I’m asking for your support to help make this release as great as it can possibly be. Pressing vinyl is expensive, and doing that, on top of getting 4 cassettes duplicated, and all of the packaging involved, is an ambitious venture. Your support will also enable me to give more copies of the release to each of the contributing artists as compensation. Normally with a compilation, since there are so many people involved, a label can only give a small number of copies to each artist, in order to keep the unit-cost / break-even point reasonable.
If you check out the Rewards on the right, you’ll see what you can get at the various contribution levels.
In case you’re not familiar with Kickstarter, its an all-or-nothing structure. Meaning, your credit card isn’t charged until the end of the fund raising timeline, and only if the goal is met. If its not met, then you’re not charged a dime, since the project won’t move forward. So if you really want to see this thing happen, contribute what you can, and spread the word, to make sure we hit our goal.
Thanks so much, and I hope you can support the project at any level.